Tuesday, February 12, 2013

1/26


Today was a blast… at least in my book it was. It was EXTREMELY rocky. We had to be tilting at least to a 45-degree angle at times. I haven’t gotten seasick like a lot of people, but I definitely had my moments where I had to stop what I was doing and breath through the dizziness. I was able to find the humor in the experience and I took some amazing pictures of the 20-foot waves (I’ll post pictures). The 2nd floors portholes were shut, because we were underwater at times. I heard a rumor going around the ship that prior to the portholes being covered people actually saw underwater. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was actually true, since the water was much higher when I looked out my own window on the 3rd floor. But being on a ship of 625 people, rumors do happen and spread quickly.
The Global Management class was having a class with Bishop Tutu that anyone on the ship could attend. Andrew and I went and let me say, Father is a funny guy!! He has so much to teach all of us, and I can’t wait to have the opportunity to have dinner with him.
During my social Psychology class we were sitting there and we all almost fell out of our chairs about 5 times because the waves were so big. The Oceanography professor told us that the waves were about 25 feet and some were about 30... this was at 3:30 pm.
Surprisingly, before pre-port there were a lot of people in the piano lounge. Some guys started playing the piano and singing, then everyone who was sitting there started singing. I have some great videos of it. It was one of the moments that gave me those good chills and made really realize the amazing things that are ahead of me. Everyday this experience is becoming more and more real.
I dragged my friends to the Union for the pre-port meeting, since it seriously was like a roller coaster ride. The RD’s wrote a song to Call Me Maybe and as I was videoing it, my seat rolled to the side and was on 2 legs. It was so scary, since I wasn’t paying attention to the rocking of the ship at the time.
The day of interesting stories doesn’t end with that… sleeping was an adventure as well. As I’m trying to sleep, I was literally sliding to one end of the bed to the other. I was waiting to hit my head on the headboard. The bedside table drawers are magnetic, but all the force of the ship rocking kept making them slam open and closed. I was constantly waking up since anything that wasn’t on the floor to start with ended up on the floor.
It was one crazy day, but we are in Japan tomorrow so I think we have hit the worst of the waves until South Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment