Thursday, January 17, 2013

1/14


Last night, two of my good friends, Justin and Andrea, convinced me to wake up at 6 am with them to watch the sunrise. I figured after seeing the sunset last night, I might as well wake up and try to see the sunrise. When I got up, it was cloudy, yet again, so I didn’t think it was going to be that great. But it ended up being beautiful. The way the sun was reflecting off of the water and the few clouds in the sky was breath taking.
Today ended up being a really nice day out, thankfully. I didn’t have class until 1 pm, so I had a nice morning sitting on the back deck in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying the sun! Being able to sit outside with the sun on my face, wind in my hair, hearing the waves crash, and only seeing the deep blue ocean for miles, was probably one of the most relaxing moments in my life.
I had a typical day… went to class, ate lunch, and all that fun stuff. There was a mandatory pre-port meeting, about what to watch out for in Hawaii and what not to do. I also went to one of the Unreasonable at sea presentations. The unreasonable at sea program is for entrepreneurs who we can learn from. There are big name companies on the ship, like the founders of Nike and X Box. Here’s the link with more information about the Unreasonable at Sea program: http://www.semesteratsea.org/discover-sas/signature-programs/unreasonable-at-sea/
The man who spoke tonight was a 24 year-old college drop out from India. In India, only 11% of the population has access to Wi-Fi, but majority of people have cell phones. Their cell phones are what he referred to as “dumb phones”, so there was still no way to access sites like Google if you had a questions. He created a search engine through SMS, which allows people to text their questions to this company and receive an answer.  It is similar to how we can text Cha-Cha with a question and get an instant answer Here is the link if you want to read more about it: http://unreasonableatsea.com/innoz/

I can’t believe that I haven’t even been on the ship for a week yet. It feels like at least a month has gone by and it still hasn’t hit me yet that I am actually a part of this life changing experience.
It is still unbelievable that I am traveling around the whole world in 4 months. And the first journey starts tomorrow… HAWAII!

No comments:

Post a Comment